Ask the Passengers (Paperback)
Fall '12 Kids List
“This touching, challenging story about a small-town girl struggling to be honest with herself while she has to keep secrets from everyone around her is as finely wrought as any of King's previous award-winning novels.”
— Todd A. Dickinson, Aaron's Books, Lititz, PA
In this truly original portrayal of a girl struggling to break free of society's definitions, Printz Honor author A.S. King asks readers to question everything--and offers hope to those who will never stop seeking real love.
About the Author
A.S. King is the author of the highly acclaimed books Glory O'Brien's History of the Future; Reality Boy; Ask the Passengers, a Los Angeles Times Book Prize winner; Everybody Sees the Ants; and the Edgar Award nominated, Michael L. Printz Honor book Please Ignore Vera Dietz. She lives in Pennsylvania.
* "At once much more than a coming out novel and one of the best coming-out novels in years.... Funny, provocative, and intelligent, King's story celebrates love in all its messy, modern complexity."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Another thoughtful, and often breathtaking, achievement for King, whose star is ascending as quickly as one of Astrid's planes."—Booklist, starred review
* "King's thoughtful, sad, funny, and frank book...will appeal to any mature teen resisting the pressure to conform or rebel [and] anyone who wants to define herself on her own terms."—School Library Journal, starred review
* "For kids struggling with their own truths, it can be hard to believe how much light there is once you come out of the cave. This is a book that knows and understands that, and it's one that readers will believe."—The Bulletin, starred review
* "A furiously smart and funny coming-out-and-of-age novel."—The Horn Book, starred review
"Astrid is a model of strength and compassion.... Good reading for everyone."—VOYA
"King has penned a work of realism that is magical in the telling."—Cooperative Children's Book Center